Look At Me!

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Happy Birthday and Unbirthday too!

Oh yes, its my birthday today! Apart from the usual wishes (oh yes, even Google wished me - check it out!) and gifts, I had nothing interesting to do.
So I was surfing the net (as is my wont, these days) and here are some really interesting facts.


Anybody know what a Birthday Problem is?

In probability theory, the birthday problem or birthday paradox concerns the probability that, in a set of n randomly chosen people, some pair of them will have the same birthday. By the pigeonhole principle, the probability reaches 100% when the number of people reaches 367 (since there are 366 possible birthdays, including February 29). However, 99% probability is reached with just 57 people, and 50% probability with 23 people. These conclusions are based on the assumption that each day of the year (except February 29) is equally probable for a birthday.
The mathematics behind this problem led to a well-known cryptographic attack called the birthday attack, which uses this probabilistic model to reduce the complexity of cracking a hash function.

And the CRYPTIC formula? Well here goes (oh no no, don even bother to ask me what denotes what!)

 \begin{align} \bar p(n) &= 1 \times \left(1-\frac{1}{365}\right) \times \left(1-\frac{2}{365}\right) \times \cdots \times \left(1-\frac{n-1}{365}\right) \\  &= { 365 \times 364 \times \cdots \times (365-n+1) \over 365^n } \\ &= { 365! \over 365^n (365-n)!} = \frac{n!\cdot{365 \choose n}}{365^n} = \frac{^{365}P_n}{365^n}\end{align}

And all this ONLY to find out if some one in a group shares the same birthday as you! Trust me people, I would just stand up and ask!

And whats an Un-Birthday?

An unbirthday (originally written un-birthday) is an event that can be celebrated on any day that is not the person's birthday. It is a neologism coined by Lewis Carroll in his Through the Looking-Glass, giving rise to "The Unbirthday Song" in the 1951 Disney animated feature film Alice in Wonderland.

Now you have reason to celebrate all 364 days of the year! (365 in case its a Leap Year)
So here's a video wishing a Very Merry Unbirthday To All of You! (yes, you) and to all tea drinkers like me, too!




5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Nina :-) I hope you've had a good day? Would it be possible for you to add the followers gadget (Google Friend Connect)? I'm more likely to notice if you make a blog post if you do, Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should add as you didn't have anything interesting to do that by good day I mean it was pleasant enough and you managed to watch Ice Age at some point ;-P

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Weird Guy! and a very merry unbirthday to you!
    About GFC, for some unknown reason, I just cant find the gadget/widget on my list!
    Ice Age? no I dint :( . See? nothing interesting...

    Congratulations once again on making it to the front page.
    And now that you are back again, I am assuming you have fully recovered from your 'Man' Flu! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and for some unknown reason again, I always miss to hit reply and end up with a 'New' comment.. The dork that I am!

      Delete

Leave a comment and make my day!